Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Practicing Resurrection

Over the years Emerson and I have discussed the concept of practicing resurrection, of intentionally living in ways that bring life back into lifeless places, living out our belief that the resurrection of Jesus Christ is the foundation of our lives. It's been a while since we've talked about that. You know the way that ideas that once burned bright and guided you for a season seem to flicker out without notice?

This past Sunday during the church service we sang the Crowder song, "I Am". As I was singing the words of the bridge, "This is my resurrection song..." that whole concept of living out the resurrection as a spiritual discipline came flooding back into my mind. And I thought, "How am I doing at that, Lord? Is my life breathing resurrection life into the people and places around me?" And in that moment our farm passed before my mind's eye.

Two months ago we purchased an eight acre farmstead. It was a whirlwind decision. We've been talking about moving to the country for years. How we wanted a big old fixer-upper farmhouse with a charming front porch. We'd wanted 5-10 acres. Big enough for it to be profitable, supporting enough produce to sell at farmers markets and eventually as a CSA (community supported agriculture), and a large flock of laying hens (and guinea fowl for comedy). But not so big that it was unmanageable. We intentionally moved to Iowa two years ago to live close to my family, so if we moved to the country it needed to be 20 miles or less from our current home. Oh, and the big one, price. We are a family of 6 living on a public school teacher salary, so price was a big factor in when we'd move to the country.

And then out of seemingly nowhere Emerson found a farm listed on a real estate website. It was 7.9 acres, 3.5 acres tillable land, with the rest yard, pasture, and orchard. A big, old farmhouse in need of some serious reimagining and dedicated remodeling, roughly the same size and layout as our current home (with a gorgeous front porch!) and it was 19.5 miles from our current home. And it was the estate of a man recently deceased, whose heirs were only interested in quickly unloading the property, so the house was within our price range.

And I still didn't want to jump in at first. My dad is a former general contractor turned real estate investor. I know what it takes in time, effort and money to fix up a fixer-upper in as desperate need of fixing up as this house is. This is the difference between my husband and I. I am the dreamer. I'll dream big dreams about all aspects of our lives. Long have a called my husband the "Dream Squasher". He's so practical and stable. He doesn't make big decisions without counting the cost. He knew full well the material and immaterial cost of choosing this farm, and he could see that it was worth it, when I could see was the fear of the what-ifs. He didn't push or demand anything of me. In his steady way he just waited me out. It took a very deliberate choice on my part to not let my fear of the unknown future stand in the way of the realization of his dreams. Then faster than I imagined it would be we were in a lawyer's office signing the papers to our new home. Our dream home. Our big ol' farmhouse on 7.9 acres of land within 20 miles of our current home.

It has been a very demanding 2 months. There is SO much work to be done on the house and property. The downstairs has been gutted. New wiring is being run throughout the house. There is no move in date in sight. There are 4 out buildings that have been demolished by age and disuse and are just waiting to be cleared away, with another leaning so hard from a recent storm that only the adjacent trees are keeping it erect. The new school year started for Emerson shortly after closing on the house, so he has been working full-time and then plugging away at the house on the evenings and weekends, in addition to maintaining our current market garden and selling at the farmers market twice a week. I'm desperate to help out, but with the four kids, and especially Thaddeus who needs so much right now, it just isn't practical for me to go out to work on the house. So I've been lonely and frazzled during the times that Emerson is usually here, but now isn't. There have been many times over the past few weeks where I've been thinking of the lines from the song "Thank Goodness" from the musical Wicked. Glinda sings, "It's strange, but it seems that getting your dreams is a little, well, complicated." And I've focused on the hard.

So on Sunday, as we sang, "This is my resurrection song." And my weary heart asked, "Is it? Am I living the resurrection?" The Holy Spirit brought our farm to my mind and spoke to my heart. Of course this is hard, if bringing something back from the dead was easy then it wouldn't be a miracle. The house is decrepit. The out buildings are kindling and ruble. The fruit trees and vines are over grown and the ground is fallow and neglected. This farm was left for dead. And we are doing the hard work of resurrection. We are breathing new life into a forgotten and neglected place. We are intentionally making it a place not just of new life, but a place that will produce life sustaining crops.

To my weary heart the Spirit whispered, "Yes, Child. Beloved, I'm giving you the opportunity to practice resurrection in your new home. I know it's hard and scary and that has caused doubt over the choice to move to plant a root in your heart, but I'm with you. Following the dreams I plant in your heart, and living out your calling is aways worth the cost. Breathe my breath of new life into this home and land. You are living out the resurrection. See the truth of that, and dedicate yourself to pursuing that goal as you press forward. Make your life in your new home a living testimony of my resurrection."

I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection of the dead. Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus too hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider my yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. -Philippians 3:10-14


























No comments:

Post a Comment